Steam is an online video game distribution service that first launched in September 2003. It was announced on the 22nd of November 2021 that the Creatures series would be coming to the platform in December of that year, with C3/DS being slated for the 6th of December.
The following are fixes and changes that have been confirmed by the game's distributor, Critter Consortium. Please note that as the games have not been released yet, they may be subject to change.
- To be confirmed
- To be confirmed
- The install is based on Creatures Gold, which means no hover glitch (in Exodus DS, hovering over items would incorrectly display catalogue messages)
- The game no longer requires installation to My Documents for third-party COBs to function correctly.
- C3 Update #2 is included by default.
- "Expressive" breeds are now used as default and are no longer listed separately in the egg layers.
- The game will ship with the mall breeds that were released for free in 2008 (Astro Norns, Fallow Norns, Harlequin Norns, Magma Norns, Siamese Norns, and Zebra Norns)
- Chichi Norns will be available in C3 standalone
- Errors in the official C3 chemical list have been fixed, and the list itself made into a PDF file. The updated version will be able to be downloaded via Steam.
- Optional Steam cloud integration
- Music will now play on the world selector screen. In the original release, it didn't play due to a typo in the music script.
- The Banshee Grendel updates (expanded + female Grendel voices, and Grendel compatibility scripts in standalone DS) are now part of the DS base build. This means you don't have to inject the "Grendel update" for a new install or into new worlds yourself.
- In DS, a script that is supposed to take a photo of dying Creatures has been fixed.
- An error in Wolf Control when running on fast machines has been fixed (and it is invisible to cameras).
- Two potential memory leaks (Bramboo in DS and Grazer waste in C3) have been addressed.
- The umbilical is now considered a door instead of an elevator.
- In docked DS worlds, grazers should now make the correct sound when startled.
- The elevators in DS should now be able to fit adult grendels and other large creatures.
- The import dialog sometimes does not display the correct head. This has been fixed.
- A language switcher was added so the language in DS can be changed freely between English, German and French.
- Dead links displayed in the injector were changed.
- Toxic cookies recipes work by default and do not have to be injected separately.
- GOG.com - another online service where the Creatures games can be purchased.