|Publisher(s)||Mindscape, Linux Game Publishing (Linux version)|
|Platform(s)||Linux, Windows, Macintosh|
|Release||November 4, 1999|
Creatures 3 is the third game in the Creatures series and is a sequel to Creatures 2. The game is set within an abandoned spaceship called the Ark, which was launched into space after the Shee departed towards Sphericus, leaving behind a destroyed Albia. The Ark comprises of several terrariums that recreate Albian environments, which appear as metarooms within the game. Like Creatures Village, and Docking Station, Creatures 3 runs on the Creatures Evolution Engine
It is possible to connect Creatures 3 with Docking Station, a free standalone game with 4 metarooms and support for transferring creatures and messages to other players. Docking Station is available for download at no cost.
Creatures 3 can be purchased as part of the Windows-only Steam edition, or Creatures Exodus for Windows, the Windows+Mac dual format Creatures Exodus for Mac OS X, or the Linux-only Creatures Internet Edition for Linux. The GOG Creatures Collection is another remastered edition of Creatures Exodus, compatible with Windows 10. Like the other games in the Creatures series, the original CD-ROM version of Creatures 3 is no longer available in stores, but can be found through third-party sellers on websites such as eBay.
- Windows 95/98/ME/NT
- Pentium 200MMX or faster
- 4x speed CD-ROM drive or faster
- 16-Bit sound card
- 2MB 16-Bit color SVGA display adapter (800x600 resolution minimum)
- 32 Mb RAM (64 Mb recommended)
- 300Mb of free hard drive space
Creatures 3 was not made to work on the Windows XP operating system. Though similar, this operating system is different from Windows 95/98/ME and thus it may be unstable or refuse to work at all. However, some users have reported that things work fine as long as:
- The game / addon is installed by a user with complete administrator privileges.
- The game / addon is run only by a user with complete administrator privileges.So make sure that this is the case. You must install (or reinstall if already installed) under a Windows XP user that has complete administrator privileges. Also, the game can only run (be played) by a user with the same privileges - ie, complete administrator privileges.
Creatures 3 was widely anticipated prior to its release in November 1999; although many who were still bitter about the rushed release of Creatures 2 decided not to buy it, some later relented. There were indeed a few problems at launch, but not on the same scale as the last game; most notably, some of the norns did not use the full range of facial expressions available to them, and a new genome (expressive norns) had to be released to fix this problem. Although the creatures in Creatures 3 were intended to ship with an "improved social ability", this was not functional at a brain level until the Creatures Full of Edits were released in 2008.
Additionally, the initial ecology of the different terrariums, while complex, would often crash, leading to a barren environment: several fan-made patches have attempted to fix this, most notably the Norn Woodland Fix Patch for the Norn Terrarium.
The rooms in Creatures 3 are:
- Norn Terrarium
- Jungle Terrarium
- Desert Terrarium
- Marine Terrarium
- The Crypt
- Learning Room
There are numerous machines all doing different things in C3. The player must get their creatures to push the power-ups to make the larger machines work (creatures call the power-ups "tool"), and the larger machines often require bioenergy to function. The machines may be linked together to do different things.
Docking Station breeds:
Creatures Mall breeds:
- The engine designed for Creatures 3 was actually released first in Creatures Adventures.
- During development of Creatures 3, Unix scripting tools were used under Windows to write an automatic build process.
- Creatures 3 has very subtle seasons on the Ark.
- Modding in the Creatures series
- Creatures 3 category
- Creatures Internet Edition
- Creatures Exodus
- Creatures 3 & Docking Station Community Recommended Fixes and Addons
- Creatures 3 chemical list (backup)
- Creatures3.com website (approved mirror)
- Gameware's Creatures 3 Downloads Free downloads for Creatures 3 including Magma Norns, Yule Pack, Grettin Switch, BioPellets and Update.
- Buy Creatures Exodus at GOG.com (Creatures 3 and Docking Station)
- Buy Creatures 3 at Steam.