Creatures, the Game
The original Creatures game was set in Albia and featured Norns, Grendels and much in the way of cheese and carrots. The game was limited by the technology of the time, being restricted to a 256-colour palette (background images are available at C2 Back), bamboo architecture and occasional background sounds rather than the music which evolved in latter titles. The development title for Creatures was "Small Furry Creatures" - the game also became known as 'Creatures 1', or more commonly, simply 'C1' after Creatures 2 was (eventually) released.
Read the Creatures Credits.
- Creatures was first pitched by Steve Grand in the form of a 'Mouse for Windows' - little desktop pet that would need to be fed and watered, and who would interact with the desktop icons and windows. Millennium didn't bite.
- A second attempt at a pitch was dubbed 'Little Computer Ewoks' (compare WikiPedia:Little Computer People) by Steve himself, for lack of a better name. It is interesting to note that this proposal appears to be the earliest manifestation of Creatures as we know it today. It also interesting to note that the phrase 'Little Computer Ewoks' was also used by Erin's father when he was first shown the game!
- The final design of the norn as we know it is actually quite different that the original: Steve Grand oringally imagined the norns to be 'gawky and awkward' - even early images of norns resembled chickens!
- Grendels were originally described as monsters, resembling huge, titanium spiders, complete with eight eyes and a voracious appetite for norn. Eek!
- As ageing and disease was introduced late in the game (see history), the death of Norns was meant to be enforced by a gene . . . however, the gene misfired and had no effect! Norns died through illness anyway, as originally intended, which greatly pleased Steve Grand.