Steam is an online video game distribution service that first launched in September 2003. (See Wikipedia for more details on Steam in general.). It was announced on the 22nd of November 2021 that the Creatures series would be coming to the platform in December of that year, with C3/DS releasing on the 7th of December and Creatures: The Albian Years and Creatures Village being slated for the 20th of that month.
Changes and Fixes
The following are fixes and changes that have been confirmed by the game's distributor, Critter Consortium. Please note that they may be subject to change.
Creatures: The Albian Years
- Creatures 2 includes the DxWrapper fix so that it can be played without lag on Windows 10.
- Creatures 2 includes the rare Albian Penguin official COB.
- Docking Station is renamed Creatures Docking Station in this release, with Creatures 3 being offered as paid DLC.
- The install is based on Creatures Gold, which means no hover glitch (in Exodus DS, hovering over items would incorrectly display catalogue messages)
- The game no longer requires installation to My Documents for third-party agents to function correctly.
- C3 Update #2 is included by default.
- "Expressive" breeds are now used as default and are no longer listed separately in the egg layers.
- The game will ship with the mall breeds that were released for free in 2008 (Astro Norns, Fallow Norns, Harlequin Norns, Magma Norns, Siamese Norns, and Zebra Norns). The additional mall breeds that use unique genomes (Banshee Grendels, Bondi Norns, Hardman Norns, Toxic Norns and Treehugger Norns will be offered as free DLC.
- Chichi Norns will be available in C3 standalone
- Errors in the official C3 chemical list have been fixed, and the list itself made into a PDF file. The updated version will be able to be downloaded via Steam.
- Optional Steam cloud integration
- Music will now play on the world selector screen. In the original release, it didn't play due to a typo in the music script.
- The Banshee Grendel updates (expanded + female Grendel voices, and Grendel compatibility scripts in standalone DS) are now part of the DS base build. This means you don't have to inject the "Grendel update" for a new install or into new worlds yourself.
- In DS, a script that is supposed to take a photo of dying Creatures has been fixed.
- An error in Wolf Control when running on fast machines has been fixed (and it is invisible to cameras).
- Two potential memory leaks (Bramboo in DS and Grazer waste in C3) have been addressed.
- The umbilical is now considered a door instead of an elevator.
- In docked DS worlds, grazers should now make the correct sound when startled.
- The elevators in DS should now be able to fit adult grendels and other large creatures.
- The import dialog sometimes does not display the correct head. This has been fixed.
- A language switcher was added so the language in DS can be changed freely between English, German and French.
- Dead links displayed in the injector were changed.
- Toxic cookies recipes work by default and do not have to be injected separately.
- Bacteria will no longer infect Creatures with ATP Decoupler, which is often the cause for many premature deaths due to how fast-acting it is.
- Bramboo will no longer go extinct.
- A black square in the old ettin female's tail sprite has been fixed
- Fruits out of reach aren't visible or emit smell anymore.
- Currently unknown
- GOG.com - another online service where the Creatures games can be purchased.