Macintosh port of Creatures
Creatures was originally published for two platforms - Windows 3.1/95, and Mac OS 7.5, but the latter port was of a low quality and suffered from many bugs.
It should be noted that the game does not run on modern Mac machines - it only works on a Power Macintosh running System 7 or Mac OS 8. At the time, the Macintosh port attracted criticism for using the Microsoft Foundation Class Library, which made the game run very slowly.
Macintosh System Requirements
- System 7.5 to 8.1
- Double Speed CD-ROM (300k/sec)
- 256 Colours @640x480
- 8MB RAM with 8MB Virtual Memory (16MB without Virtual Memory)
- 35MB of hard drive space (+memory size if using Virtual Memory. See Mac Advisory for more details)
Note that the OS requirement means it doesn't work under Mac OS X's 'Classic' mode, which is MacOS 9. Nor is it known to work under any Mac emulators, since most of them don't emulate the required PowerPC processor (as used in PowerMacs and above), and the rest don't manage to run the required system versions reliably. The PC version, however, runs acceptably on a modern Mac using Virtual PC.
Under MacOS 8.0/8.1, there are a few problems with the Health Kit and scrolling performance. To work around these:
- You have to set the System font to CHICAGO in the APPEARANCE CONTROL PANEL. Restart the computer and the Health Kit should work just fine. For added performance improvements, also turn off the system wide platinum appearance in the appearance control. After this scrolling should work better in Creatures.
Mac Compatibility with Windows files
- The game can load most COBs developed for Windows
- Adoptions must be converted with the Creator Changer
- Sprite images are compatible
- Creatures for Windows