Macintosh Catalogue Files - Automator Fix
The following guide by Gulli is intended to fix a problem whereby, on injecting an agent into a Macintosh Creatures Exodus game, the catalogue files extract to the wrong directory. The solution is to use Automator, one of OS X's inbuilt scripting systems.
Follow these instructions carefully, I accept no responsibility if you do something wrong and mess things up (as I did while experimenting).
- Go into your Applications folder, right-click or command-click on the Docking Station icon.
- Select "Show Package Contents" from the menu that appears.
- Go into the Contents folder, then the MacOS folder, then the Data folder.
- Find the Catalogue folder, and make an alias of it. (Right-click or command-click on it and choose "Make Alias".) This creates a file called "Catalogue alias".
- Move said Catalogue alias to the desktop, or somewhere you will find it easily later.
- Open Automator from your Applications folder.
- Select "Get Specified Finder Items" from the list on the left (if you can't find it, use the search function) and double-click on it, so it appears in the box on the right as step 1.
- Click on the + and select "<your username>/ Library/Preferences/ Creature Labs/Docking Station/data/Catalogue", then click "open".
- Select "Get Folder Contents" from the list on the left (if you can't find it, use the search function) and double-click on it, so it appears in the box on the right as step 2.
- Select "Move Finder items" from the list on the left (if you can't find it, use the search function) and double-click on it, so it appears in the box on the right as step three.
- Drop down the box that (probably) says "Desktop", and click on "Other" at the bottom.
- Select the Catalogue alias that you made earlier.
- Tick the box for "Replacing existing files."
- Choose "Save as plug-in..." from the File menu.
- Name it DS Catalogue Fix, or something. In the "Plug-in for" menu, chose "Folder Actions", then attach it to the Catalogue folder using the menu that appears.
- Save it.
- Go to your Catalogue folder, and make sure that Folder Actions are enabled (right-click or command-click and choose it from the menu).
- Hopefully, your catalogue folder will now be empty! That means that everything has gone perfectly and the catalogues have successfully been moved and will now work in-game. If not, choose "Attach folder action" and add your script.
- A little robot thing will appear in your dock for a few seconds every time this script runs. This is a sign that the script is working and is nothing to worry about.
- Catalogues used for item descriptions might not work immediately, but will work next time you open a world. This is normal, don't worry.