DXWnd is a tool that lets you run old games on modern versions of Windows, for example: It can completely fix the lag and redraw issues of Creatures 2.
How it works
DXWnd re-implements certain lower-level APIs the applications use for drawing images on the screen. Creatures 2 for example used DirectDraw, a long-since deprecated 2D API that has a totally broken implementation in Windows 8 and higher.
Where to get it
You can download it from the DXWnd Sourceforge project page
Creatures 2 configuration
These are the minimum required settings you need to configure on Windows 10:
- Name: Creatures 2
- Path: C:\GOG Games\Creatures 2\creatures2.exe
- Launch: C:\GOG Games\Creatures 2\launcher.exe
- Initial virtual color setting: 16 BPP
- DirectX Version Hook: DirectX7
- Emulation renderer: Hybrid
- GDI: Share ddraw and GDI DC
Please note that the settings for Windows 7 have been reported to be entirely different.