Creatures Wiki talk:Copyrights
Jump to navigation Jump to search
"...artwork from Cyberlife/Creatures Labs/Gameware. Permission to use such images from them on fan sites has been granted by the company."
- Even commercial ones? Where do they give this permission? Angela 22:28, 10 Jan 2005 (PST)
Well Angela, I think they would have brought it up with one of the websites thats displayed it before, and we would know about it. I could ask Lisa de Aruajo (the Public Relations of Gameware) if you'd like, just to be sure. - Liam 22:49, 10 Jan 2005 (PST)
- I was just wondering if they mention the permission on their website so I could see exactly what uses they allowed. Does anyone have a link to that? Angela 00:08, 11 Jan 2005 (PST)
- Yes - http://www.gamewaredevelopment.co.uk/copyright.htm
- The question is whether the use of the trademarks and images is commercial, and if it is, whether Gameware will allow it anyway. This is one reason I asked on IRC what sort of advertising was going to be added, as they might well want to consider that.
- I think we can say Creatures wiki itself is not commercial. Wikia, as a company, is commercial, but since Wikia is just hosting the site, not deciding the content of the site, it seems like this should be ok. I'll check what Jimmy thinks too though. Thanks for the link - they seem fairly relaxed about third party use. Angela 00:38, 11 Jan 2005 (PST)
- I think it is fine. I think we can't quite say that the wikis themselves "are not commercial" for the purposes of fair use, nor generally for trademark licenses like this. It's just too broad a question to have a simple yes/no answer. But if a company seems generally relaxed about fan sites, well, most fan sites are with hosting companies that have ads. I don't think they would balk at a geocities page, for example. And you're right, it isn't commercial in the relevant sense... we aren't selling merchandise with the logo for example. -- Jimmy Wales (via email to Angela)