Carrots are the quintessential food of Creatures. They are a replenishing food source.
Carrots in Creatures 1
Eight carrots can usually be found in the Creatures 1 Garden. When a fully grown carrot is eaten, it will turn into a carrot seedling. A seedling may either continue to be held by a Creature after consumption, or it may return to the garden from whence it came. In both cases, the carrot will mature over a period of several minutes until it is ready to be eaten again.
Carrots have the following effect on a Creature:
- Hunger: -100
- Need for Pleasure: -70
- Starch: 100
An updated version of the Creatures 1 carrot was released in June 2015 at Discover Albia, which can be downloaded here. It includes the following improvements and new features:
- Invisible Seedlings: Immature carrots are now completely invisible and will not create confusion
- New Seedlings: Upon being eaten, carrots are replaced by brand new seedlings in the garden
- Amount of NFP Decrease: The level of NFP decrease is now 30, rather than the original amount of 70
- Number of Carrots: There are now 10 carrots in the garden, instead of the usual 8 carrots
- Dropped Carrots: Dropping carrots now includes a random variable so they can point left or right
- Carrot Stubs: Carrots will now briefly turn into stubs after being eaten, to simulate actual eating
- Sprite File: The download includes a new sprite file with improvements and two new poses
- New Bitmaps: Existing bitmaps now better simulate growth so baby seedlings do not sit on the ground
- Garden Area: Carrots now grow in a slightly smaller area within the garden to improve placement
- Vertical Growth: Seedlings use a variable y coordinate so they are no longer in a perfect line
Originally, the garden's carrot patch was the only source of carrots in Albia; however, with the development of third-party COBs, several new sources of carrots have been created:
- A New Carrot Patch was created by Freya of The Creatures Jungle, and appears alongside the Laburnum bush and across from the Waterfall.
- A Day-Old Carrot Vendor was created by SteerPike - one of many excellent vendors created during his short time in the community.
- Cyberlife released a bouncing Carrot Variant as part of their first Object Pack.
- Spirit released a patch of Cave Carrots which grow on the lowest level of the island.
- A Carrot Variety Pack was created by Muppetboy of Muppetboy's Geatville, which injects different varieties of carrots under the beehives, beneath the temple, and under the Grendel Tree.
There is a bug with the original carrots' CAOS, in that after a Creature had finished eating them, they would not return to the carrot patch to regrow until after the remains of the carrot had been dropped - Creatures could push the teeny tiny carrot remains over and over again, and become confused. Muppetboy's Carrot Variety Pack does not have this bug. MuppetBoy altered the way the carrots function, instead of each one turning into a seedling, they create a seedling elsewhere, then self destruct. GirlySatan fixed this bug in a different way, which can be seen in their world AlbiaSquared.
A 'one-shot carrot' is a variety of carrot that does not turn into a carrot seedling and regrow in the garden after having been eaten. The carrots from the official vending machine, as well as several third-party carrot vendors, have this feature.
Carrots in Creatures 2
Carrots can be found in Creatures 2 just to the left of the Ettin Mother, at the very bottom of the world. There is an occasional bug where they will grow an inch or so underground, thus preventing Creatures from reaching them. Their latin name is Daucus carota. They are called "root" by creatures, and the other "root" in the game is the potatoes.
The carrots require:
- Inorganic nutrients between 80 and 150, though it has a 50% chance of dying if the level is less than 100 or more than 130.
- Temperature between 30 and 225
Please note there is conflicting information about its growing conditions; the official C2 species list gives a broader range of inorganic nutrients. The values above come directly from the scriptorium.
Zap created a Modified Carrots & Potatoes COB which altered the carrots to be invisible until they were ripe and make a noise when they were eaten.
The Carrot Seed Dispenser COB and Carrot Seeder by Nina add more carrot seed dispensers to Albia.
Carrots in Creatures 3 and DS
In both C3 and DS, carrots are classified as food, and will give the same stimulus as cheese etc.
In Creatures 3, carrots grow in a patch on the Norn Terrarium's large hill. Norns love carrots, and often eat them to the point of extinction. JayD made an altered carrots.cos file which injected some carrots into the Ettin Desert as well. A C3/DS conversion of the Carrot Variant was made by Lis Morris, which injected some bouncy carrots into the Desert Terrarium. The Genetic Carrots by Andrew Carroll created a new type of carrot in the Norn Terrarium.
In Docking Station, most carrots are contained in the Carrot Pod in the lower level of the Norn Meso. When the pod is pushed, by a Creature or the Hand, carrots are harvested and dispensed for your Creatures to eat. Outside of the pod, new carrots can grow from the remains of carrots your Creatures have eaten. Docking Station carrots contain the cure for carbon monoxide poisoning. C3 carrots do not contain this cure. Pressing SHIFT+CTRL+E in Windows Docking Station will create carrots near the hand (among other objects). An Injectable Carrot Pod agent has been made to increase the amount of carrots in the game.