A breed is a type of creature with its own unique sprites in the Creatures series of games - either a norn, ettin or grendel. Each breed takes up a breed slot, so there can only be a finite number of breeds installed per game. (Although, theoretically, an infinite amount of breeds could be created!) There are both official and unofficial breeds for each game, of varying quality - some are just sprite recolourings with standard genomes, while others are fully-fledged projects with new sprites, genomes, accompanying COBs/agents, and even whole worlds/metarooms to host the breed.
One Creatures Breed requires:
- 384 heads (6 expressions, 4 angles, 4 directions, 2 eye states, 2 genders)
- 80 body sprites (4 angles, 4 directions, female (x4) and male)
- 192 legs (4 angles, 4 directions for left and right thighs, shins and feet, 2 genders)
- 128 arms (4 angles, 4 directions, left and right, upper and lower, 2 genders)
- 64 tails (4 angles, 4 directions, root and tip, 2 genders)
- Subtotal: 848 parts per lifestage
- Standard number of lifestages: 4 (Baby/Child, Adolescent/Youth, Adult, Old/Ancient)
This gives a total of 3,392 sprites for one breed (across about 112 sprite files). The actual number can be higher or lower, however; breeds can change sprites at every lifestage, but usually do not, and a few, such as Gaius, will use the same sprites for all ages.
Which sprites are which?
You will notice that most sprites have a relatively cryptic name, such as a02d.c16 for the head image for male child breed-slot D (chichi) Norn.
The first character refers to which part of the body it is, the second character is the species and gender, the third character is the life stage of the creature, and the forth character is the breed slot.
Note, in Creatures 1, breed slots were numbered 0-9, so a sprite name could be a029.spr, but in later games they were lettered a-z.
Body parts (first char):
- 0 = Background
- A = Head
- B = Body
- C = Left thigh
- D = Left shin
- E = Left foot
- F = Right thigh
- G = Right shin
- H = Right foot
- I = Left humerus (upper arm)
- J = Left radius (forearm)
- K = Right humerus (upper arm)
- L = Right radius (forearm)
- M = Tail root - not present in C1
- N = Tail tip - not present in C1
- O = Left ear - present in CV, but supported in DS
- P = Right ear - present in CV, but supported in DS
- Q = Hair - present in CV, but supported in DS
Species/Gender (second char):
- 0 = Male Norn
- 1 = Male Grendel
- 2 = Male Ettin
- 3 = Male Geat
- 4 = Female Norn
- 5 = Female Grendel
- 6 = Female Ettin
- 7 = Female Geat
Life Stage (third char):
- 0 = Baby
- 1 = Child
- 2 = Adolescent
- 3 = Youth
- 4 = Adult
- 5 = Aged
- 6 = Senior
Compare with genetic breed, species.
Looking for a particular breed? Browse the list of breeds!