A breed is a type of creature with its own unique sprites in the Creatures series of games - either a norn, ettin or grendel. Each breed takes up a breed slot, so there can only be a finite number of breeds installed per game. (Although, theoretically, an infinite amount of breeds could be created!) There are both official and unofficial breeds for each game, of varying quality - some are just sprite recolourings with standard genomes, while others are fully-fledged projects with new sprites, genomes, accompanying COBs/agents and even whole worlds/metarooms to host the breed.
One Creatures Breed requires:
- 384 Heads (6 expressions, 4 angles, 4 directions, 2 eye states, 2 genders.)
- 80 body sprites (4 angles, 4 directions, female (x4) and male)
- 192 legs (4 angles, 4 directions for left and right thighs, shins and feet, 2 genders)
- 128 arms (4 angles, 4 directions, left and right, upper and lower, 2 genders)
- 64 Tails (4 angles, 4 directions, root and tip, 2 genders)
- Subtotal: 848 parts per Lifestage
- Standard number of lifestages: 4 (Baby/Child, Adolesent/Youth, Adult, Old/Ancient)
- Total Number of sprites for one breed: 3,392 (across about 112 sprite files)
Looking for a particular breed? Browse the list of breeds!