There are currently three types of Borg Norn available and one in development:
- The Borg Norns were originally created for Creatures 2 by Johannes Dams for Norn breed slot R.
- A later version was made by Matthew Holmes for Norn breed slot W.
- BioLab has made a similar breed called the BorgNorns for Creatures 3 and Docking Station.
- Alex Twigg is developing a new Docking Station version with all new sprites and coding.
The Borg Norns are based on the Borg from Star Trek and have many unique qualities. As in Star Trek, they assimilate other creatures, giving them much of their own genetics. The assimilated creature soon starts assimilating others, ensuring the potential for a quick spread of Borg genetics. Norns, Grendels, Ettins and Geats are all vulnerable to assimilation -- an assimilated Gaia often looks hilarious! Furthermore, a Borg creature has the ability to teleport, and in the swift of a cloud it may suddenly be located in another floor or metaroom. The Borg society is made up of a queen and her drones.
For a Borg Norn to gain energy, it teleports itself into a chamber where all its basic needs are satisfied. There it can undergo a "regeneration cycle", similar to sleeping while standing up.
The BioLab team, that made the C3/DS BorgNorns consists of:
- Alex Twigg - CAOS
- Antti Valli - CAOS/Art-Sprites
- Russell S/nillion42 - CAOS
- Sean (BioNorn) - Genetics/Art-Sprites
- Tina Hirsch - CAOS/Programming/Linux Version
Alex Twigg's new Borg Norn feature sprites modeled and rendered in Lightwave 3D, the software used to make the original sprites for Creatures 2 onward.
There is a project to revamp the Borg Norns, including new sprites for the breed. They will have a hairless appearance, the babies will have minimal implants and gain them as they age, and early models have been compared to demonic chihuahuas.
- Mirror of C2 Slot W and C3/DS Borg Norn
- Mirror of C2 Slot R and W Borg Norn (see under 'Nornrassen')
- Archive of C3/DS Borg project, circa 2004 (includes an incomplete metaroom)
- Development thread for Borg Norns (2012)
|This stub could use .|